Sunday, September 7, 2008

Twenty Cool Toes

Our family and friends spread across the country (and around the world) means distant events influence our lives. This time it's Hurricane Ike that is heading its way toward New Orleans and Aurelia's brother Chris and his g-friend Lisa who live there.


5-day hurricane track as of Sunday Sept. 7.



Chris was scheduled to visit Sylvia this week but he wisely decided to delay the trip until the weather and any possible evacuations have passed. We wish them, and the rest of the east coast, a safe ride.


As small consolation AJ and I took Sylvia outside as much as possible to take advantage of the glorious weather we're having on Oregon. First the two ladies headed into the backyard to lie in the grass. Thumb sucking was enjoyed by the under 28" set.
















As the temp rose, the two had a bit of a snooze under the ornamental pear.









In the afternoon we three selected one of Portland parks for a family outing. We chose Peninsula Park and were soon parking on the eastern edge of this 16 acre, inner city park. The park is split into two halves, one for a formal rose garden (Portland's original-the larger version on the west side being built a few years later) and the other for a community center and athletic fields.






Le Rose Garden






Outdoor "room" made with four trees.



The fountain in the center of the Rose Garden was just the right depth for cooling toes large and small.























With twenty of our thirty toes brought down to manageable temperatures we made our way to the other end of the park where one of Portland's many Hispanic league soccer games was underway. The play was rapid and skillful.










Sylvia grew tired of the game and decided that is was more fun to eat her carrier.












Why yes, that is a Deportivo Cuenca soccer jersey.
Viva La Chronica Roja!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Hidalgos,

    Now I'm feeling very sorry that I cancelled my trip. C'est la vie, but when I woke up last Saturday, Ike was head straight at NOLA. Within a few hours of cancelling my flight, the hurricane took a dramatic left turn and trended WNW rather than NNW.

    Well, let's send good vibes to the Texas coast. I'll get started on figuring out when I can get to Portland!

    One tiny side note - I was really surprised at how accomadating Delta Airlines was about cancelling my trip. They had no problem giving me full credit for my ticket, all extra fees were waived because of the hurricane. Not what you expect these days from airlines...

    Love,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete